Tech savvy? Not quite. I am comfortable with technology when I have the time to explore and play with the tools at my disposal. Living in the shadow of my technopath of a brother, I have never had the opportunity to figure out the intricacies of the technical world. I am primarily in a state of excitement in regards to learning about tech.
As a future teacher, I am aware that my students will be itching to explore the ever expanding world behind the computer screen, and I am so very ready to lead them on the expedition. I am, however, a little nervous that I will be less aware and able to monitor student progress and behavior if I do not keep a firm grasp on how technology is used in my classroom. Also, as a lover of paper and pen, and the artistic possibilities that come with glue and scissors and a good old #2 Ticonderoga, I fear that technology will dominate traditional creativity--even if it does produce an entirely new frontier for learning and artistic expression.
On the other hand, I am beyond grateful for the experience I have had working at Lakeview Elementary school over the last few years, and would love to be as comfortable with the technology entrusted to me as some of the teachers I have observed there. I would particularly like to learn about the online resources available to teachers. Yes, I want to work with document cameras and SMART boards, but I also with to conquer the challenge of the online universe.
That is really interesting to me that you "lived in the shadow of your technopath brother" and thus you did not learn much about technology. This is such a contrast to my life. My brother is very technologically savy and thus I have learned all that I know from him. From the time I was little he exposed me to anything that had to do with video games and computers. I received all of his technology hand me downs whenever he got the newest inventions.
ReplyDelete