Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Week 11 Post

The comment  that I left on Adventures in Educational Blogging refers to a post about digital reading and how it affects teachers and students. This is a topic that has long interested me. I learned more about the accessibility of digital reading devices and how it applies to more than just books, but to textbooks, newsfeeds and news paper articles and other forms of text media. I learned a lot about how marking a digital text works. I think my post added to the community by asking a question that had not yet been asked on the blog (as far as I could tell). I asked about the value of the written word and what the effects of digital access will be.

2 comments:

  1. Just in case the comment takes some time to be approved...

    stephanie PERMALINK
    November 9, 2011
    Please Note: Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    I really enjoyed reading this post. I happen to love the accessibility of digital reading and believe that it will soon, if it not already, become an integral part of how people live. My major concern regarding students is this: with ease of access, does the value of the written word decrease? Books are often cheaper, more likely to be marked up than a print copy. In the future, will getting published be a less intense process so that more work of less ‘quality’ is being produced? Thank you for your questions and your comments on the tech behind the different reading devices. So, helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie - As someone who loves both print and digital media I can appreciate this discussion. I have a nook which I love however I still enjoy purchasing a print book and thumbing my way through. As to the question of value, I think that just as story was first told orally, then hand written, and with the invention of the printing press put into type we are just seeing the next evolution of story. I think the quality from specific publishers and the process to get pucblished itself will remain intense. I think there is a difference between "being published" and putting your own work out there for everyone to read.

    ReplyDelete