Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Reflection # 5

What? Computers in classrooms. Here at NU, I've had several teachers request and require that students bring a laptop to class for notes and tutorials. However, if you were here last year, you will remember the huge kerfuffle about how teachers were banning computers from their classrooms. I had classes where you had to ask for specific permission on a daily basis to bring a computer to class as well as classes where computers were just outright not allowed. So what?  The teachers were concerned that the tech was a distraction to students and their peers. Students were accessing Facebook and other social networking sites or online gaming sites. This was a problem, and still is, but is banning computers the solution? Now what? Now there is very little students can do about  this issue. At the college level, I don't think banning  computers is appropriate; I say, let us be stupid and not pay attention to class if we so desire. It's our class, our responsibility. (That being said, I usually hate having my computer in class. I prefer note taking on good, old-fashioned paper). Stay strong NU community, soon the schizophrenia of where and when computers are allowed will subside... or you will graduate. Either way, you will be free. 

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie,
    First of all, let me just say I love the way you write. I can hear you saying all of these things as I read your blog, which I find to be quite amusing. Second of all, good point. I think by the time we get to college we should be allowed to waste thousands of dollars of tuition money by going on Facebook or addictinggames.com during class time, it is our choice. However, being somewhat ADD in nature, it is difficult for me to focus on the lecture being given if the person next to me is using their laptop inappropriately. Now that is my own issue, not the issue of my classmates, or the professor, but it certainly is something to think about. I'm hoping I'm not the only one to experience this phenomenon. -Camille

    ReplyDelete