Sunday, October 16, 2011
Reflection #3
What? NU Wireless. What a joke. In a world with increasingly technical forums for education, how can I complete my assignments when the provided internet access is so desperately unreliable? Because of my busy schedule, I have very specific times that I am able to work on assignments and class work. It is vital to my grades and class performance that I be able to access online instructions and resources when I have the time. So What? This is a problem that spreads farther than just my own life. My roommates have similar issues, my friends in the dorms. Is this a world-wide bandwidth issue? Or is this a Northwest University Foux pas? Now What? I will speak AGAIN to the IT department. I know many other people who have sent complaint after complaint after question and humbly submitted argument who will be doing so one more time. I think that this is an issue that teachers must be aware of, because even if students have computer access, that doesn’t mean that, they will always have internet access, because they rely on someone else to pay for that service. As a teacher, it will be my responsibility not to assume that my students will have the technological means outside of the classroom to complete what I am asking of them, and to then provide those means during school time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I couldn't agree more. How could the wireless internet be so bad. And it isn't even from day to day. but hour to hour. There are times that I am in the library and can't get a signal. That shouldn't happen. Its the library! Anyway, good point. --Kyle Tatro
ReplyDeleteYou make a really good point and I have had this similar problem. Well just because internet has made it easier to look-up information doesn't mean we can rely totally on anything running perfect in the lives of human beings.
ReplyDeleteOh how we love technology! I suppose the moral of the story is that we can't always rely on tech by default. Also, I think it's great that you're aware of the finicky nature of technology, especially pertaining to your future students' access to technology outside of the classroom.
ReplyDelete