Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Reflection # 6

What?For my final reflection for this section, I would like to point out that the internet boosts creativity (or at least has that potential). As I was searching for a costume for Halloween themed events, I could find nothing in my closet or my roommate's closet that would give me any viable options. I searched online and looked at idea after idea of easy, last minute costumes. So what?  I didn't use any of them. No, as I read and read through page after page of witty and slightly irreverent costume ideas, the best ideas were forming in my own head. I thought of an electrocuted AC/DC fan, a bracelet made of lollipops (sucker punch), and other ideas that were doable with what I had on hand. My brain was stimulated by the ideas that others shared. Now what? Students need to be able to share their ideas, just like that digital natives article toward the beginning of the semester said. Letting kids post and share project ideas through blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other digital sharing sites is a great way to do that. Yes, there is a greater potential for cheating, but due to plagiarism detecting services the risk can be greatly reduced and the benefits of sharing online can only be limited by the bandwidth! 

3 comments:

  1. I love what you said her steph!I differently agree. I'm curious though as to your thoughts about what Professor Adair had to say about not being able to let kids use google. Do you agree with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with Monica's statement about Google. I would not let that into my classroom, heck, even I don't like using it. But, if I can set up a controlled environment and pre-approve sites, there are endless possibilities for creative potential.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that I am also constantly looking up costume ideas for improv and also ideas for my day to day wardrobe. I truly believe that students need to have the opportunity to explore and share their ideas. Blogs are great for this. Lately I have really enjoyed "Pinterest" which allows you to pin pictures from websites that you particularly like. You can also repin pictures from friends and search for particular topics. Although addicting at times, it is a great way to share creative ideas with your friends.

    ReplyDelete